Kathy’s Easter Bread
This is a very special recipe my mother would make every Easter. I hope you enjoy it and take time to be with family.
Makes 3 loaves
1. Dissolve 2 envelopes yeast in ¼ cup warm water with 1 tsp. Sugar. Set aside to rise.
2. Scald 2 cups milk; add ½ lb butter or oleo, 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 tsp. almond extract, 6 tbsp. whiskey. (optional)
3. Add 6 eggs, well beaten, and dissolve in moisture until all is liquid.
4. Add yeast and 9 cups flour and ½ cup raisins (optional). Beat well with wooden spoon until dough looks satiny and falls away from the spoon. (we use the mixer)
5. Place in large bowl, cover with towel and set aside out of drafts or place in pilot lit oven with no temp until it rises double in size. Then punch down and knead on floured surface.
6. Put in well greased loaf pans, half full, sprinkle with crumbs. To make crumbs, combine 4 tbsp. each of butter, flour, sugar, mix well and sprinkle on top of dough in pans. Let rise again until they rise to of pan.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.
Copyright © 2012